Work Permit for foreigners

Expats who want to work in Turkey must obtain a work permit from the Labor and Social Security Ministry. There are three types of work permits, temporary, permanent and independent work permits. Expats who want to apply for a work permit from their home country or their country of residence must file an application at the Turkish Consulate in their countries. At least six months of valid resident permit is prerequisite for applications that are filed within Turkey. Both applications require the employer to file an online application at the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.

How it works;

  • Employers can file an online application at the Ministry of Labor and Social Security for those aliens who hold six months valid resident permits that are obtained from Ministry of Internal Affairs.
  • In the case of not holding a resident permit, applicant will have to go and apply for a work permit at the Turkish Consulate in their country of residence. There, a 16-digit reference code will be issued and this code must be provided to the employer and the employer will file an online application at the Ministry of Labor and Social Security online system by using this reference code.
  • Authorized personnel who will set up a company record must be SGK e-bildirge user and must have e-signature under their name.
  • The employment contract is drawn up and must be signed by both parties.
  • All transactions regarding applications are made with electronic signature over the e-Government system.
  • Biometric photograph of the foreigner taken within the last 6 months.
  • Employee’s passport copy.
  • Diploma translated by a sworn translator.
  • Pre-approval document approved by the Ministry of National Education for foreigners who will work in the field of education.
  • Copy of employer’s identity card and identity card.
  • Employer’s residence certificate.
  • SGK notification must be made within 30 days after the work permit is obtained.

Boz Consulting provides consultancy services for employers in all matters regarding work permit applications for foreigners, ensuring that the application procedures are carried out completely and on time. If you want to get professional support, please contact us. We will get back to you as soon as possible and finalize your application process with no hassle

The workplace that will apply for a foreign work permit must fulfill the following conditions.

  • At least five Turkish citizens’ employment is mandatory for each foreign national work permit applicatin.. If the foreigner requesting a permit is a company partner, the employment requirement for five Turkish citizens is sought for the last six months of the one-year work permit to be given by the Ministry. If a work permit is requested for more than one foreigner at the same workplace, five T.R. Citizen employment will be sought for each application.
  • The paid-in capital of the workplace must be at least 100,000 TL or its gross sales must be at least 800,000 TL or the last year’s export amount must be at least 250,000 USD.
  • Article 2 will not be applied in the permit requests for foreigners to work in associations and foundations, and articles 1 and 2 will not be applied in the evaluation of work permit applications of foreigners who will work in the Turkish representations of foreign state airlines, education sector and domestic services.
  • The foreign partner of the company requesting permission must have at least 20 percent of the capital, not less than 40,000 TL.
  • The amount of monthly wage declared to be paid to the foreigner by the employer must be at a level compatible with the foreigner’s duty and competence. Accordingly, taking into account the minimum wage in force as of the date of application, the minimum wage to be paid to the foreigner;

 -6.5 times the minimum wage for senior managers and pilots,

-4 times the minimum wage for unit or branch managers, engineers and architects,

 -3 times the minimum wage for teachers and those who will work in jobs that require expertise and mastery,

 -At least the minimum wage for foreigners to be employed in domestic services, 1.5 times the minimum wage for foreigners who will work in other professions,

  • For foreigners who will work in tourism-animation organization companies as acrobats and similar titles, and for foreigners who will work in jobs such as masseurs, masseuses and SPA therapists, the minimum wage must be doubled.

Work Permit Application Types

Domestic First Time Application

It is made for foreigners who are in our country and have a valid residence permit for at least six (6) months. In this case, the foreigner has a Foreigner Identity Number (YKN) that starts with 99.

First Time Application Abroad

In case the foreigner does not have a residence permit, they must goe to the Turkish Consulate and apply for a work visa. Applicant must have a 16-digit reference number that will be given to them from there.

International Protection Application

It is made for foreigners who are under international protection in our country and who have applied for international protection. The foreigner has a residence permit for international protection.

Temporary Protection Application

It is made for Syrian nationals who are under temporary protection in our country. The foreigner has a temporary protection residence permit.

Extension Application

It is made for the extension of the ongoing work permit obtained from the Ministry of Labor and Social Security. It must be done within 2 (two) months before the expiry of the previous permit.

Extension of Work Permits

Work permit extension application is made via e-Government as the first application made, starting from 2 months before the permit expiry date
  • If the work permit application is evaluated positively, the foreigner is granted a work permit for a maximum of one year of the first application, provided that he/she works in a specific workplace belonging to a real or legal person, public institution or organization, or in their workplaces within the same business line, provided that it does not exceed the duration of the employment or service contract.
  • The extension application is made within 2 months before the expiry date of the work permit.
  • Applications for extension made after the expiry date of the work permit will not be processed.
  • The request for the extension of the work permit is made electronically via e-government as in the first application.
  • After a one-year legal working period, if the extension application is evaluated positively, a work permit can be granted for a maximum of two years in the first extension application and up to a maximum of three years in the subsequent extension applications.
  • Applications made to work with a different employer are subject to the procedures and principles of the first time applications.

How is the selection of foreign teachers to work in public schools inTurkey?

The selection and qualifications of foreign teachers to be contracted in Turkey are determined by the regulation prepared by the Ministry of National Education.
  • The total number of teachers to be employed on a contract basis to be assigned in Turkey cannot exceed 400 in one academic year.
  • Contracted foreign teachers are appointed for a period of two years. In the following years, the contract periods are extended in one-year periods, taking into account the success status. Total assignment periods cannot exceed five years.
  • The monthly gross salary payable to foreign teachers to be employed under a contract cannot exceed four times the gross total of the payments compared to the monthly and any other wages paid to teachers who work as permanent staff in a school in Ankara affiliated to the Ministry of National Education, have 20 years of seniority, are married, have two children, do not have a spouse, and receive a pension from the fourth level of the first degree. In the calculation of the gross sum of the monthly and all other payments, the foreign language compensation paid to the Turkish national teachers and the savings incentive and housing assistance are not taken into account.
  • Payments are made in advance at the beginning of each month. The monthly gross salary, provided that the above-mentioned upper limit is not exceeded, is determined by the Ministry of National Education, considering education status, length of professional service, the location of the school to which he/she will be assigned, whether he has a career in a foreign language or education, and whether housing is provided.
  • Foreign teachers can transfer up to forty percent (40%) of their contract net fees outside of Turkey.
  • Foreign national teachers are paid the flight ticket price of their arrival to Ankara from their country and their return to their country at the end of their contract. In addition, the travel fees of the spouse and maximum two children of married people can be paid.
  • The daily and travel expenses of those who are temporarily assigned outside their place of duty in Turkey are specified in the contracts, provided that they do not exceed the period determined in the provisions of the Allowance Law No. 6245 and the amount of subsistence paid to first degree civil servants.
  • In case of the death of foreign teachers, spouses and children in Turkey, the expenses of sending their bodies back to their countries are covered from the Budget of the Ministry of National Education. In addition, in case of the death of the teacher, a travel fee is paid for the return of the spouse and children to their countries.
  • If the husband and wife are appointed as foreign teachers together, a monthly house transfer fee is paid to each of them within the first month of their employment.
  • Foreign teachers are subject to sickness and work accident insurance in accordance with the Social Insurance Law No. 506. They will be treated as if they are Turkish Citizens. All insurance premiums are covered by the Ministry of National Education.
  • Foreign teachers are given lessons up to thirty hours a week for a monthly fee. They can also be assigned to the training and preparation courses opened in schools.
  • The paid annual leave period of foreign teachers is the same as the leave period of Turkish teachers. Paid sick leave, up to 30 days a year, may be granted for diseases documented by an official medical report. The contracts of those who are determined by the doctor’s report that their diseases continue at the end of this period will automatically expire. However, in case of work accident, this period can be extended up to three months.

What is diploma equivalency certificate aka DENKLIK? How to apply for DENKLIK for foreigners?

Equivalency is the condition that the associate, undergraduate and graduate diplomas received abroad are equivalent to the associate degree, undergraduate and graduate diplomas given by higher education institutions in Turkey. The equivalence processes of diplomas are carried out by the Council of Higher Education (YÖK).
Foreigners who will do bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate degrees are required to have the equivalence process in order to determine the equivalent of their diplomas in Turkey.
Required documents for equivalency application for foreigners:
  • Online equivalency pre-application form.
  • Declaration of consent.
  • Photocopy of passport.
  • Original and certified Turkish translation of diploma or graduation certificate.
  • Original Transcript and certified Turkish translation of all courses taken during higher education.
  • Receipt of application fee.
  • Color photocopy of application documents.

According to the Equivalency Regulation of the Ministry of National Education, DENKLIK for the foreigners for their primary and secondary education is the process of evaluation for documents such as note cards, transcripts, education certificates, drop out certificate and diploma in order to determine the level of education obtained in comparison to class, field, division of primary and secondary education in Turkey

The documents required for the equivalence at primary and secondary education level for foreigners are as follows;
  • For those who will apply at the primary and secondary education level, the report cards or education certificate of the last academic year from the schools they studied abroad, and a leaving certificate, if any.
  • For those who have graduated from secondary education institutions, the report cards of the last academic year obtained from the education institution they studied abroad or the education certificate and diploma, the approved original diploma or a document proving that they are entitled to receive a diploma.
  • The original or the translation of the entry-exit dates and the processed pages of the passport made by sworn translators during the training.
Equivalency procedures at primary and secondary education level are carried out by provincial national education directorates. Those who have equivalency at primary and secondary education level and will continue their education in Turkey must have a residence visa or a student visa.
It is important that the documents requested in the equivalence process are completely included in the application file. During the application, a certified translated copy of documents such as passport, diploma and transcript must be provided. Application processes can be difficult and complex. Boz Consulting is your most reliable working partner for all kinds of equivalency applications. If you want your applications to be concluded as soon as possible, please contact us.